Sunday, August 5, 2012

Adoption / Foster Care: What is Adoption? - Helping Non-adopted Children Understand Adoption

Adoption / Foster Care
Get the latest headlines from the Adoption / Foster Care GuideSite. // via fulltextrssfeed.com
What is Adoption? - Helping Non-adopted Children Understand Adoption
Aug 5th 2012, 00:00

Cover Art Courtesy of Wisdom Press

My daughter has a good friend named Caleb. He has been around our family for the past several years. A few years ago he started making observations about our family. He told my daughter on several occasions that because the boys are adopted, she doesn't have any "real" brothers. I overheard these comments and asked him if since the boys aren't real brothers, if I was their fake mom. He said, "Well, yeah. Kinda."

I didn't know how to address this with him. I then received the book What is Adoption? for review. I asked Caleb to read it and if he wouldn't mind submitting his own quick review.

After spending several minutes reading, he brought the book back to my desk. "Caleb," I asked. "Has this book changed your mind and feelings on what a real family is and that Jordan's brothers are her brothers?"

His eyes widened, he nodded his head, and simply said, "Yeah."

He then handed me a note with his review that read:

"A great book to learn about friends who are adopted."

How can I give a stronger, more positive review than that?

Cover Art for What is Adoption? Helping non-adopted children understand adoption courtesy of Wisdom Press.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment